I get the error message 'E90' on the screen of my spa. What can I do about it?
What does the E90 error message mean?
The spa is no longer functioning and error message E90 appears on the display on the control panel.
To prevent too many bacteria and viruses from developing in the water, the water flow sensor makes the device jump into safety. The legislator obliges the manufacturer to incorporate this safety.
When the device jumps to safety, error message E90 appears on the screen. This therefore indicates a poor or no flow of water through the filter system.
What are the possible causes of an E90 error message?
For all models:
- The filter pump has absorbed too much air.
- The water balance is not correct.
- The water distribution of the spa is blocked.
- The water in the spa was not changed or disinfected in time.
- The spa is used in a too low ambient temperature.
- There is a defect in the control box.
- Wrong products have been added to the water (eg essential oils, bath pearls, ...).
For models without chlorine generator ("" Bubble Massage "" and "" Bubble Therapy ""):
- The chlorine was added to the water in the wrong form (liquid chlorine or chlorine flakes instead of chlorine tablets).
- The chlorine tablets were added to the water in the wrong way (directly instead of with the floating chlorine distributor).
- The chlorine tablets were added in the wrong dose (you must always follow the guidelines on the packaging of the chlorine tablets).
How can I resolve it?
Place the spa in a warmer place if needed.
The Intex PureSpa is not suitable for use in an ambient temperature that can fall below 5 ° C. If this is the case, move the spa spa to a warmer room.
It is recommended to use the spa in an ambient temperature of at least 12 ° C.
Release the air from the control box.
Normally you have to let the air out of the control box before you start using the spa. If this has not happened, you must complete the following steps:
For the "" Bubble Spa "" and "" Bubble Therapy "" models (SSP-20, SSP-20-1, SSP-H-20, SSP-H-20-1 and SSP-H-20-1C) :
- Unplug the power cord.
- Put the plug back in the socket. This way the error message E90 is reset.
- Switch the control box on again.
- Press the button to activate the filter pump and hold your hand in front of the water inlet (B) in the tub so that you can feel if water is coming out. As long as no water comes out, the filter pump makes more noise than normal.
- Switch the filter pump off again within 3 seconds, wait 5 seconds and reactivate the filter pump.
- Repeat these steps until you feel water flowing from the water inlet into the tub and see the air bubbles being pushed out of the system.
For the "Spa Jet Massage" and "Spa Jet & Bubble DeLuxe" types SPJ-H-20, SPJ-H-20-1, SPJ-HS-20, SPH-HS-20-1, SJB-HS-20:
- Press the button to switch off the device.
- Unscrew the cap on the drain valve on the side of the control box with a coin. All air has escaped as soon as an even stream of water runs out of the drain valve. Wait another 15 seconds and turn the cap back on the drain valve.
- Press the button to activate the control panel.
- Press the button to activate the jet function and thus expel any remaining air from the system.
- If the E90 error message does not disappear, repeat the above steps.
Ensure correct water balance
This step only applies to the "" Bubble Spa "" and "" Bubble Therapy "" models (model SSP-20, SSP-20-1, SSP-H-20, SSP-H-20-1 and SSP- H-20-1C):
The control box does not have a chlorine generator, i.e. you have to purify the water by means of chlorine tablets. Please always respect the following instructions:
- ALWAYS use the chlorine distributor floating on the water (also called skimmer) to add chlorine to the water.
- NEVER use liquid chlorine or chlorine flakes: this can form a film inside the tubes so that the water no longer flows properly.
- Always follow the guidelines on the packaging of the chlorine tablets regarding use and dosage.
- Never allow chlorine that has not completely dissolved to come into contact with the tub.
- Switch on the "" bubble "" button on the control panel and allow chlorine to dissolve more easily in the water.
- Add chlorine and other chemicals to the water separately. Make sure that one product is sufficiently dissolved in the water before adding another product. Never mix chemicals.
- Test the water quality with the test strips supplied with the spa. If the test is negative, it means that the water balance is not correct.
- Add the necessary chemical products to maintain a perfect water balance and thus to control the development of bacteria and viruses in the spa water.
- Do not add essential oils, bath pearls and the like to the water.
- Always remove the skimmer before using the spa.
Unscrew the filter cassette
- Switch off the control box and unscrew the filter cassette
- Switch the power back on and restart the control box.
- Reactivate filter system
Immerse the filter cassette
If the control box functions without the filter cassette, and the error message E90 has disappeared, this means either that there is air in the filter cassette, or that there are dirt residues or residues of a product added to the water, the filter cassette, the filter housing, the filter cover or the block exhaust grille.
Immerse the filter cassette in the water and let the air bubbles escape.
Then screw the filter cassette back on.
In many cases, error message E90 has disappeared. If this is not the case, continue to the next step.
Immerse the filter cassette
Immerse the filter cassette in the water and let the cassette fill with water until all air bubbles have escaped. Then screw the filter cassette back on and restart the control box. We know from experience that this has solved the problem in many cases!
Check inlet and outlet grilles
Check that there are no residues in the grilles from the inlet and outlet to the cockpit. Is this the case? Unscrew the inlet / outlet grilles using a Phillip screwdriver. Clean the racks and place them back.
Clean the filter cassette
If the control box functions without the filter cassette, and the error message E90 has disappeared, this means that there is air in the filter cassette, or that there are dirt residues or residues of a product added to the water, the filter cassette, the filter housing, the filter cover or the outlet grille to block. Please thoroughly clean these parts.
If it is not possible to clean the filter cassette (it remains contaminated and discolored) you must replace it.
Screw the filter cassette onto the outlet grille on the inside of the tub (lower position, indicated with 'C').
Remove the back cover from the control box
- Remove the lid
- Remove the rear cover of the control box
- Do not twist the connecting hose
- Check if the connection hose between the tub and the control box is not twisted and runs straight
After following the previous steps, the E90 error message disappeared, but after a few hours of using the spa, it returns. In that case there may be a problem with the water.
We know from experience that it is sometimes difficult to straighten the water balance by adding chemical products. In that case you empty the tub.
While the tub is empty, blow through the 3 connections with the supplied inflation hose. That way there should no longer be any obstructions in the connections.
Refill the tub with water and carefully follow the start-up instructions in the manual.
Error message E90 has not disappeared
Register the problem online at the Intex Service center: www.intexsupport.be. After receiving the registration, the service will propose a suitable solution.